A History of the Trinity Bellwoods area.

It is with great pleasure that the TBCA has secured permission to publish on our site Between the Bridge and the Brewery, (PDF) A History of the Trinity-Bellwoods Neighbourhood in Toronto. First published in 2005 by Jon Harstone, and sponsored by the  Trinity Bellwoods Community Association this book is an in depth look at the development of our community from the 1800’s onwards. Included in this publication are detailed appendixes which include descriptions of many of the houses along Shaw & Crawford streets, along with their builders and owners. This document is truly revealing and includes many maps and illustrations, and we are privileged to be able to present it online for the first time. From the book’s introduction:

Our community often strikes visitors as being unique. They comment on the boulevard on Shaw Street, and the size and grace of the houses on Crawford Street. They wonder how this came to be. This book provides some of the answers. But more than that, Between the Bridge and the Brewery provides insights into how communities in Victorian Toronto were developed, insights which are relevant throughout the City.

And from the author’s introduction:

This book started out as a guide to the community discussing when houses were built, and who buill them. The guide remains, but it has become an appendix. Over the years, as more research was done, it became clear that there was a much bigger story to be told: the story o f suburban development in Victorian Toronto. How developers and individual investors responded to the challenges and opportunities in our community is relevant to the development elsewhere in Toronto. The mix of rich and poor, tenements and estates, factories and schools, reflects the diversity of Victorian Toronto. The extent of tenement housing on Shaw Street was a surprise. The City’s urban renewal program was so effective that no evidence ofthis housing remained, yet these tenements were an important part of the housing mix in the community. Finally, this book builds on the work of Richard Harris in his book Unplanned Suburbs by pushing back the evidence for self-built houses on the suburban fringes of Toronto to 1875.

 

3 thoughts on “A History of the Trinity Bellwoods area.

  1. Wonderful book – a great read and a marvellous resource. I think, however, there is a small typo in the information about James Givins and Pine Grove — he purchased Park Lot 24, not 23, from grantee JB Bouchette in 1802.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *