Thousands of people, businesses, residents associations, former mayors of the City of Toronto and now even the President of Toronto Blue Jays have come out in opposition and asked that the city say no to a downtown mega casino.
There are only have a few weeks left before the vote on a Toronto mega casino. No Casino Toronto needs to double their petition numbers. You can help by signing the petition here: http://nocasinotoronto.com/take-action/
You can also request a lawn sign at nocasinotoronto.com/lawnsign and find out more about the campaign on the No Casino website.
Here are 5 casino misconceptions for you to consider (originally from NOW Magazine):
- Casinos reinvest in local communities. False. Most of the profits end up in the pockets of outside investors.
- Casinos attract more tourism. Not true. They actually suck entertainment dollars out of existing tourist destinations.
- A casino would mean more tax revenue for Toronto. In the short term, yes, but the social costs outweigh the economic benefits.
- A casino would create thousands of jobs. OLG’s plans include closing slots at racetracks across the province, which will jeopardize more jobs – up to 60,000 in the horse racing and breeding industry alone.
- Casinos do not contribute to crime. Wrong. Casinos are hot spots for money laundering. Studies also show an increase in alcohol-related crime.
Please sign and ask a friend to sign. Find out more about the campaign on the No Casino website.