Trinity Bellwoods Park

Trinity Bellwoods Park

Once at the home of University of Trinity College, on Queen Street West Strachan Avenue, a 14.6 hectare park is located. The Park lies on top of Garaison Creek, which is now in the middle of its wall, and features three ball diamonds, eight tennis courts, two volleyball pitches, an artificial ice rink. The Trinity Community Recreation Centre is located in the south-west part of the park.

South of Dundas Street West, on Gore Vale Avenue, is the outdoor artificial ice rink.

History Of Trinity Bellwoods

At Fort York, the former Garrison Creek was drawn into Lake Ontario and a military reserve was placed in the north and west of the fort. As York city was growing around the fort, British officers and friends of the Military Command were selling the Military Reserve gradually in lots. Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Smith of the British army reportedly purchased 1,000 hectares of land (4.0km2) from here in 1801, which he referred to as Gore Vale in the name of Garrison Creek Rvine after Lieutenant Gouverneur Francis Gore.

When the Park was first established (after 1900), in 1903 Goad’s Map with the nearby street Bellwoods Avenue was referred to as Bellwoods Park. It is believed that the name Bellwoods was associated with former William Bell, who served between 1881 and 1883 and 1888 and 1896 again.

Most of the present park was originally acquired by the Scottish-Canadians Bishop John Strachan (1851)[3] of Gore Vale, a leading Anglican diacon who wanted Toronto a private school with strong Anglicans, some in contrast to the newly secularised University of Toronto. Built soon (Gothic Revival by Kivas Tully), students started to attend Trinity College in 1852. In 1852 the building was built. The School left the University of Toronto in 1904, after which the Trinity Center campus was completed in 1925.

The original buildings were then sold and demolished in the early 1950s to the City of Toronto. Two decades of extensive heritage destruction took place in Toronto when Trinity buildings were destroyed. Only the stone and iron doors remain from the college itself, but the old St. Hilda ‘s College building (Trinity College women ‘s residence) dates from 1898, and still overlooks the northern half of the park, which is located on its western edge, on the Queenstrasse entrance, facing south. Now, John Gibson House is a residence of the elderly.

Garrison Creek was completely buried in the 1950s, and the stream of creek ran back over Crawford Street Bridge to almost as high as Dundas Street, raising the northern end of park. The steep fall to the lower part of the park from this upper level has become a popular winter toboggan run. The bigger southern part of the bowl is the most important ‘off leash’ dog park. Picnic tables and public washroom facilities are also provided here in summer. A historic plaque is placed underneath Crawford, just south of Dundas West. The bridge is buried.

Trinity Bellwoods Park

Events and Activities

Trinity Bellwoods has been the venue of numerous recently-running cultural events, including open-air movie nights, the anarchist book fair and live theatre. On June 2007, in the northwest corner of the park, Shaw and Dundas opened a weekly farmers’ market.

On the northwest corner there’s a little reminder of other neighbourhoods, which have diverse Latin American features: a bust donated to Simón Bolívar. This is where the Trinity Bellwoods Farmers’ Market is located.



2. Find out what people are saying about Trinity Bellwoods and what to know before visiting it in 2020 here on tripadvisor.

How Trinity Bellwoods used to look like –

Looking for a place to stay at Trinity Bellwoods Park ?

Here are some recommendations after gathering the locals views –